The ministry of labour Dubai also refers to the Ministry of Human Resource and Emiratisation (MOHRE). This is not part of Dubai’s local administration but it is under the federal government of the United Arab Emirates.
The Labor Department of Dubai always deals with issues related to work but does nothing in terms of visas and entry permits. You should not confuse that the name of the ministry of the labor (MOL) and ministry of human resource and Emiratisation (MOHRE) because MOL has changed its name into the MOHRE.
What Does the ministry of labour Dubai do?
As I said earlier, MOL is dealing with issues between employer and employee whoever claims to breach the labor contract that might have signed by both parties before applying for the work permit in Dubai.
Despite this, here are some of the responsibilities of the Dubai ministry of labor.
- Provide the labor contract:
The employer company must receive the labor contract from MOL Office before applying for the work permit for its workers. Both parties must read, understand and sign. The contract paper shall be written in English and the local language of the employees so that they can understand what they are signing for.
2. Issuing the Labour card:
After reviewing the compliance documents it issues the labor card to the new employees of any organization.
3. Issuing the work permit:
The labor ministry of Dubai issue the work permit to the employee which allow them to work legally in the United Arab Emirates. Nobody can work in this country without a valid work permit. If someone does that the employer and employee both have to pay a huge amount of penalties.
4. Renew the labor card and work-permit:
The expatriates’ workers who extend their services with the employer company after completing the two years they must renew their visa along with the work permit and labor card.
5. Labor ban:
Even if the new regulation allows the employee or employer to terminate the contract at any time both parties should consent upon it. If you terminate the contract before expiring without the employer’s consent it could bring the labor ban in UAE unless you are holding a high-level skills job. The MOHRE still can impose the labor ban on you on the request of the employer if you have breached the labor contract.
6. Complaint resolution:
The most important part of the ministry of the labor in Dubai is dispute settlement which always arises between the employment company and the employee. Seeking justice from the labor court can cost you thousands of dollar which can exceed the compensation that you have claimed.
Hence, the ministry of labour or the ministry of human resource and Emiratisation is the cost-effective way to make a complaint against the employer or the employee. The MOHRE always listens to both parties and give a decision that can be acceptable for them.
The responsibilities of the ministry of labor UAE;
Although the ministry of labour UAE has many duties the key responsibilities to fulfill are following;
- Advocate for the federal labor law and supervise the implementation.
- Enforce the rules and regulations both for employees and employers.
- managing the job market
- Planning and proposing labor policies that suit for the UAE job market.
- Manage the labor relationships and establish stability in the market
- Increase productivity in the country’s workforce and create jobs.
The MOHRE has the two-division one is the ministry of human resources and another is Emiratisation. The department of the Emiritasation has different duties and responsibilities which are as following;
- Making the Emiratisation policy to include more Emirati citizens in the job market and supervising its implementation;
- conducting field and administrative studies and analyses on the job market;
- providing career advice and consultancy to Emirati manpower;
- Monitoring and evaluation of the process of Emiratisation in the private’s sector.
- Promoting small investment companies through the implementation of national’ self-employment projects;
- preparing training programs for nationals seeking jobs;
- Coordinating and directing the country’s skills training, vocational courses, and educational programs;
- Overseeing the working class of the assertive services in accordance with the laws and regulations of the country.
Why the ministry of labour UAE is an important organization?
MOHRE is the government department that specifically interferes with the question of contract breach whether from the contractor or workers in the UAE. This department has been playing active roles in proposing and implementing labour rules and regulations in this country.
It works like the court of the first instance and proposes both employer and employee settle the problem through discussion and compromise.
Being a foreign worker in the UAE you should know your legal rights and privileges that are granted from the Ministry of the Human Resource and the Emiratisation. If you feel the employer is treating you unfairly or does not comply with the labor contract you can complain to the MOL. If you want to learn the way to complain to MOHRE click here
Conclusion: The ministry of labour Dubai is the federal department of the UAE government which concerns the work-related issue in the Dubai job market. The MOL of Dubai handles the complaints from the employees or the employer who feels against a party does not go through the labor law of the UAE. Issuing the labour card and work permit for the foreigner, imposing the labor ban and fine for the employer if not abide by the federal labour law are the prime duties of the MOL in UAE.