Basic security guard training Unit 1 Lesson (C)
Writing a notebook- The objective of good note-taking is to enable the writer to record the daily occurrence incidents in their notebook accurately and concisely.
In this lesson, you would learn why the notebook is important for security personnel. And how it turns into an integral part of their equipment.
During the course of your duties, you may have to deal with various types of situations and people.
Since the notebook helps to write a good security report it has become a valuable tool for the security guard. The accuracy is inevitable in your writing because a security report is considered testimony at the trial.
If you take note while the incident happening. You can reference the precise time in the security report which is primarily used as evidence in the court hearing.
The purpose of writing a notebook.
The purpose of writing a notebook can be many but here are some important ones as follows.
To recall the detail and provide accurate testimony.
The notebook is very important for remembering something and giving accurate testimony in court.
If the amount of information gathered in a notebook, such as a place, time, and description of the objects, as well as the name and address of the witnesses, may not be accurate and completely remembered if are not noted down as quickly as you can.
Furthermore, the passing of time erodes your memory. The time-lapse between the incident occurred and the trial is usually at least five to six months. If you have not recorded the incident in the notebook you can forget the critical things.
If you do not remember the event sequence your answer will end with “I don’t remember” “I don’t know” “I have no idea” etc.
Remember, you may not impress the judges and jury because of the vague remembrance of the incident. At this point, your credibility is a stake. Taking the notebook prevents you from forgetting prior events and scenes.
2. To demonstrate your work and ability.
Many people can read your notebooks such as your supervisor, manager, client representative, police, lawyer, and judge. By reviewing your notebook they can judge your ability to work as a security guard.
Remember, a good notebook and report, support your credibility contrary to a poorly written notebook which represents your sloppiness in the profession.
An efficient and well-organized notebook always reflects your organizational skills and ability.
The relevant things that you have noted in the notebook show your knowledge of the law and offense that you had dealt with.
The quality of the notebook evaluates the effort that you have put into your work.
3. Notes are used to write a report.
The notes allow you to write a complete security report because they provide the chain of events that took place meanwhile the incident happened.
Your comprehensive report should base on the notes that you have recorded in your notebook.
The security report is written after the incident happened. You may forget the sequence of the events you have seen in the incident if it is not recorded promptly.
If you note down the small points of the scene at the incident the whole picture of the happening comes into your mind at the time of writing the security report.
4. To aid in the investigation.
The notebook helps you to organize the material that you have accumulated. Putting the notes in chronicle order may assist you in writing the security report. The police can use your notebook’s facts for their investigation.
I can’t believe that the people you deal with today may be the criminal of tomorrow. So, writing the notebook about the person that you have dealt with can become relevant for the future file.
If the person is involved with any wrongdoing and you have noted about his previous actions.
It reflects back on the person’s past history through your previous notebook and his personal history can be used for the current investigation.
The important things that you should always remember
- Notebooks are an important tool for the security guard
- Notebooks should be kept when full
- Correction should always be made in a notebook in the proper way
- Do not tear out sections or pages from the notebook.
- Keep control of your notebook, don’t leave it where the general public can access it.
- Do not use profanity in your notebook
Why the note is important for?
- It shows professionalism
- It helps you justify your action
- Noting down is an efficient way to remember
- your notes may be required by a court
- It shows you followed proper policies and procedures
Why do security guards use the notebook?
- Ensure accountability
- Help you to remember an important event
- Helps with writing
- Assist others in an investigations
How to write a notebook?
- Start with the date, day, and time.
- Keep your notes in chronological order
- Include the facts that you have seen or heard and never manipulate.
- No pencil entries, no erase, and no written over.
- Do not write your opinion and guesses.
- Do not leave blank spaces, lines, or pages in your notebook.
- Make sure the entries are legible.
- Do not use abbreviations or shorthand
- Start each day with a fresh heading.
- Record the time and date, weather conditions, and location.
- The notebook should be completed in the same way every time
- Include the nature of the incident
- Write based on factual information, such as names and addresses
- Draw any diagrams if it is needed.
- Include answers to these Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How.
What should you include in your note?
- Names of the parties involved, including aliases and nicknames, and if possible, addresses, telephone numbers, and dates of birth.
- descriptions of individuals (clothing, age, height, weight, sex, the color of hair and eyes, ears, nose, scars, tattoos, or other distinguishing characteristics.
- description of the property (serial number, size, damage, color, make, or other identifying features)
You should write a notebook in the following situation.
- The time you receive the call.
- If the complaint is made.
- If the evidence is found.
- When you make statements about the victim.
- When you observe something that is not usual.
- At the scene of the incident and accident
- When the police arrive at your site.
When recording the notebook?
Ans:- When the event is occurring or as soon as possible or after the event.
The sample Notebook writing
You may interest in
Professionalism __________________________________________ LESSON – 4
public relation ____________________________________________ LESSON – 5
Important of teamwork security guard training ___________________ LESSON – 6
The elements of Integrity _______________________________________ LESSON – 7