security guard basic training Unit 1 Lesson (E)
public relation is the act of intentionally managing and spread the information between the individual, organization and the public.
PR or public relation is an important communication process that builds mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their publics. In other words, it is a task of managing the communication between an organization and its public.
Even though the security guard does not consider a PRO (public relation officer) of the company but he or she should know what, where and who to speak about the company information.
Public relation is skills of an ideal subject in the best possible light” it will make a significant impact on the ability of your employer to attract keep client and that is ultimately good for you.
Example of good public relation.
- When possible and within the scope, your job, doing more necessary for the clients or client customers.
- Maintaining a friendly relationship with the client and at the same time ensuring that your job is done.
- Speaking positively about your employer.
- Speaking positively about your job.
- Not speaking about other clients, your client would not want to you speaking about them to others.
- Greeting client and other customers with a smile
- Demonstrating that you and your company provide professional product
Integrity and ethic having the quality of
- Trust: confidence that you will do the right thing.
The clients have selected your company and your company has selected you because they will receive Reliability, Honesty and Trust.
Reliability, Honesty and Trust are the qualities for a security guard can have and it is important to have personal as well as professional integrity.
Part of being reliable, honest and trustworthy as a security guard is being impartial. It is that you are neutral and unbiased in your work.
- That is important that you are neutral and unbiased (balanced) in your work.
- Having integrity goes along with haying ETHICS.
Although security guard is impartial it is important to have ethnic. The ethic is knowing the difference between good and bad right and wrong and recognizing moral duties and Obligation.
the reason you have ethics:
- It can protect you when your actions are questioned.
2. It can assist you in giving testimony (proof) in court
3. It gives you higher standing among your colleagues.
4. It is part of professionalism.
5. It is the best way to do the job.
Misconduct (wrongdoing cusses)
Security guard requires to deal with the general public’s queries and complains. Whenever talking with the public you should:
- polite, courteous, unexcited and intelligent approach.
- Never show signs of troubled, anger, disrespect, dislike, sarcasm.
- Always be business-like and self-control.
- Be friendly and not proud.
- Remain open-minded and analyze the facts.
- Give an explanation where appropriate, don’t trap into a fight or arguing over the issue outside the control of you.
- Think you are the civilian don’t show signs of authority especially dealing with difficult people and situation.
- When addressing the people use Mr., Ms., Sir, Mam etc.
- Avoid profanity, insults and humiliate terms.
- exercise the word like “please” “thank you” or other amenities of ordinary speech.
- If unavoidable only use the force that should be least, not excessive and justifiable.
- Appear confident and knowledgeable.
The security guard is the first person who contracts with the visitor, vendor, and general public come to visit the organization. Therefore it is important for you to start a conversation properly and show the sign that you’re going to assist them instead of tough.
Avoid giving the impression to the people that you’re a continuing threat of them. If they don’t see, you are a threat, treat you back-friendly instead of hostility.
Although, you are the professional in your job you may encounter the people who react strongly or discourteous. In this situation, you should be confident and handle the situation cautiously.
Some security guard displays a tough and hard attitude in dealing with the public. This creates a bad impression and individual characterizes this approach as aggressive, arrogant, insolent, and proud.
If you leave this kind of character you could go into the much difficult situation handling the people so, any time keeping the low profile help you to defuse the tense situation.
A security guard who cannot keep good public relation.
- Who show little interest in people queries and complains.
- Don’t know what is going on around him or her.
- Lack of interest in performing security work.
Such attitude tens to damage the image of the security company, the client’s businesses and the whole security industry in the country. so, always exercise to manage a good relationship with the public.
Even though the security guards do not require to answer every inquiry from the general public but must know how to handle the situation if they need to do so.
A security guard who can manage good public relation.
- Who is courteous and friendly.
- Dignified and confident.
- calm and composed
- tactful and considerate
- Not aggressive but restrained.
- Have interested in the security job.
- reliable and punctual
The obstacles of good public relation.
Although you are performing your duty as per the company rules and regulation. There are some common mistakes the security guard indulges. As a result, either fail to provide an adequate level of service or make their jobs more difficult than they have to be.
Some of the reasons that Security Guards may have difficulty in dealing with people are:
- If anyone Suspicion on your work.
- Your negative thinking.
- Another reason not pride in your profession.
- Lack of faith yourself and your work.
- Prejudice and discrimination.
- Despite the fact, you are not flexible.
- Abuse of power and
- Unable to take criticism.
Here are some other lessons which help you to understand more about security guard job, responsibilities, and duties. click here course
In a nutshell:- As a security guard, you must always think good public relation is important for you, your company and the entire security industry in your country. When you passing the information to the public or the organization, you need to know what should be speaking and what is not. The clarified information should not be disclosed if anyone makes a query.