Basic security guard training Unit 3 Lesson (B)
The power of arrest means a granted authority in term to detain and arrest someone because of a violation of the law. The different people have a different power of arrest, for example, a police officer possesses to make an arrest is different than a security officer has to make an arrest.
This lesson clarifies the power of arrest of the security guard. A security guard or police officer does not make an arrest anybody without committing an offense. Therefore it is important for you to learn what condition the law allows you to arrest the accused.
WHAT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE?
A criminal offense is a violation of any Federal Regulation. Crime happens when a person breaches a law.
The typical offenses which security guard need to deal with his or her entire career are;
- Unlawful assembly
- Weapon or imitation for a dangerous purpose
- Weapon at the public meeting
- Own a prohibited weapon
- Public mischief disturbance, indecent exhibition, or loitering
- Trespassing at night
- Ignore the scene of the accident
- Criminal harassment
- The threat to cause death or harm
- Assault causing bodily harm or with a weapon
- Sexual assault
- Theft over robbery, with the firearm
- Break and enter with the intent of committing an offense in a dwelling house
- Obtain food or lodging by fraud Forgery
- Utter forged document
- Mischief endangering life, property, and data
- Arson, disregard for human life damage to property of others
- Possession of counterfeit money
After committing a crime, a person can be detained or arrested by police, a security guard and the general public.
What is an arrest?
An arrest is a physical or mental detention against the person’s will. In other words, detention means to deprive someone’s rights when he or she does something that runs so contrary to other member rights in society.
Valid arrest procedure:
A valid arrest occurs when a person is arrested. When you are arresting someone you should tell him or her that they are under arrest, tell the reason for arrest and submit them to the police.
Pronouncing the arrest is not an arrest until you hand over the accused to the police or other investigating officers.
- Identify yourself,
- Tell the person “ you are under arrest”
- Tell the true reason for the arrest
Your duty after arresting someone;
- Physically firm but gently by the back of your upper arms indicate by the word and physical gesture that the person is to accompany you. The person clearly submits to you and accompany voluntarily.
- As soon as possible get back your security supervisor or the manager office.
- Tell the person he or she has the right to retain and instruct whichever counsel he/she wishes.
- If the offender is young should contact the parents, relative or guardian.
- If the person wants to talk to the lawyer allow him to talk privately.
- When you interviewing tell them first ” you can say anything, there is nothing to hope from any promise of favor and nothing to fear from any threat. Anything you say may be used as evidence”.
- Make sure they understand what you are saying. If not understand explain the things in clear and plain language.
- Clearly record the statement in your notebook
A security guard can make an arrest if the police request him or her to do so. Although you perform duty in various companies in several places You must have local police numbers. Having the numbers you can contact them in case of an emergency or the time that you have arrested a person.
- An arrest is a detention according to and under the authority of law
- The authority for police and civilian power of arrest is in the penal code
- Police have a regular process for their action at crime scenes and when arresting a person
- A person has been arrested when they have been detained against their will
- A person can only be arrested when there is evidence a crime has been committed
- If a person suspected of a crime refuses to cooperate, they must be arrested or released
- There are 4 duties required by a security guard if they arrest the person
- Identify yourself
- Tell the person they are under arrest
- Let them know the true reason the arrest
- Tell them “now you are in custody if necessary restrain them”
- If security guards arrest a person, they must call the police immediately and hand over to them.
- “Detain” means held person on the suspicion for a short period of time and released after questioning.
- The security guard has no special power for detaining or arresting the person.
FULL COURSE OF SECURITY GUARD